Puzzle Massive - Massively Multiplayer Online Jigsaw Puzzles
A web site that allows players to collaborate on jigsaw puzzles. The stack is on Python web frameworks using a sqlite database. The front end uses AngularJS and some web components. Real time jigsaw puzzle piece movements are handled with websockets. Check it out: puzzle.massive.xyz
Initial development in 2011
In 2011 I had some extra time on my hands and a fun idea of creating a jigsaw puzzle website. Of course it had to allow players to collaborate on the same puzzle. This is the feature that would separate it from the rest of the online puzzle sites I've seen. So after a couple of months I had something that I made public. It worked well enough, but I didn't think it could handle heavy traffic. Even if I did get heavy traffic, I had nothing in place to monetize that.
My free time was running out. I had many ideas on making the site profitable which I thought would be better if I just rebuilt the whole thing. Later my attempt at a rebuild took longer then expected. Oops. I decided to just stop hosting it and move on to other things.
Bringing an old project back to life
In May of 2016 I decided to dig in to my code I wrote so long ago. I needed to resist the urge to just rewrite the whole thing from scratch and just focus on maintaining it. My first step was cleaning up the deployment process. It was relying on a custom build process that would fetch dependencies that were a little too complex and fragile. I also was not as familiar with that build/compile process anymore.
As a great learning experience for me; I took an iterative approach. First I implemented a Vagrant file and wrote some scripts to get the web app easier to develop on. Next, to familiarize myself with my old code, I started fixing minor bugs. One was a memory leak that steadily made the pages load slower and slower. It felt good to fix that one.
Clean up the server side code
The existing backend was using a custom CMS built on the tornado python framework. This custom CMS I built before I started the puzzle project. It's funny to build a CMS for just your own use, but that's what I did. (This custom CMS was not Chill. I built that much later.) It lacked good documentation and probably had a lot of rough edges as I was the only developer on it. So of course I used it as the base framework for the puzzle site.
My job now for the backend was to transition away from this rough custom framework. The first steps were to drop as many features and junk that were no longer being used. Not saying my features/ideas for the framework I built were bad; just that they had little use for the puzzle site anymore.
Maybe I'm making the same mistake again, but I decided to use my own custom framework, Chill, for any new development with the site. So, now the site is split between two backends that share the data from a sqlite database. (Yes, I'm now running into some minor locking issues, but that is mostly how the jigsaw piece renderer interacts with that database.) It is usually best to use the framework that you are best familiar with. For me, Chill, which is built on the Flask web framework, was the logical choice.
Getting any kind of framework to fit into an application's development will not always be a smooth process. Sure the tutorial and example apps that use the framework will all make it look so simple, but real world apps (If a jigsaw puzzle site is a 'real world' app.) tend to have their own pecularities. For Puzzle Massive the problem I ran into was how I incorporated the jigsaw puzzle pieces following the 'Angular way'. Being a developer using angular for just a few months; I'm sure I made some rookie mistakes in my design. To manipulate pieces was just a too slow of a process when there were over a thousand of them. I knew I could do better than that.
Even though I've been the sole developer on this side project of mine, I've found it useful to create issues and milestones. This helps so I can just concentrate on other things knowing that I've documented that issue or feature.
The project is not under an open source license since I didn't really see much interest in other developers wanting to collaborate on it. I have separated out bits of the project as open source software. Like the piece rendering logic has been created as a separate repository on github. See piecemaker and pixsaw for how I create random jigsaw puzzle pieces. Also the slab-massive web component I developed along side the project. I have plans to create a better system of 'collaborativly manipulating thousands of objects in delayed time' which I'm hoping could be used in other projects. Maybe eventually the whole of the puzzle project will be itself a puzzle with each piece being a bit of software configured to work in the web application. Or not.